Morguard's key goal is to generate consistently strong and stable financial returns, over the long term, for shareholders, unitholders, and the institutional and individual real estate investors who are our clients.
To accomplish that, our core strategy is to continue growing and developing our diversified portfolio of commercial and multi-unit residential real estate assets, both for our own account and for our institutional and private clients.
Following are the building blocks of this strategy:
- Maintaining the quality of earnings. Investing for the long term, mitigating risk, financing conservatively and making prudent management decisions are all essential elements in enhancing the quality of our assets – and earnings.
- Diversifying. Diversification of the portfolio helps to reduce investment risk. We have diversified the portfolio by acquiring properties in the U.S. and Canada. We are also committed to diversification by type of asset – from residential to commercial complexes.
- Taking a long-term approach. Our objective is to build a portfolio of real estate assets that can be held for the long term, and which will generate strong and steady returns. Thus, although we are always seeking new real estate opportunities, we are prepared to wait patiently if markets become overheated.
- Enhancing the portfolio. We continually enhance our real estate portfolio. One method is strategic acquisition. Another method is to target development projects that will generate substantial returns. We also work hard to maintain our long-standing relationships with national and regional tenants, and focus on long-term leases to generate stable cash flows.
- Being prepared to act opportunistically. We are prepared to seize opportunities as they are uncovered. When we believe that cash flows and values have been maximized, we are prepared to divest the assets and to deploy the proceeds where future prospects appear greater.
- Making more investment vehicles available. In order to increase the portfolio of third-party assets under management, we continue to develop and introduce new investment vehicles in both Canada and the U.S.
- Managing capital intelligently. Morguard has excellent relationships with a variety of financial institutions, and carefully protects the quality of its balance sheet and its deployment of capital.
- Building human capital. Morguard recognizes the importance of having a qualified, committed and experienced team of managers and employees at every level. To that end, the Morguard Board of Directors and the entire executive team are committed to maintaining the company's high standards of corporate sustainability and responsibility, including the avoidance of conflicts of interest.
- Maintaining high standards of governance. We believe that an essential element in our investment strategy is to uphold Morguard's reputation for dealing with clients and investors fairly and with integrity. To that end, the Directors and the entire executive team are committed to maintaining the company's high standards of corporate sustainability and responsibility, including the avoidance of conflicts of interest.