Morguard Corporation, owners and managers of Southland Mall in Houma, LA, are pleased to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the mall by announcing a community celebration to take place in March.
"Southland Mall has been a vibrant, vital part of Houma since it opened in 1969," said Joshua Nolan, Asset Manager at Morguard, who purchased the mall in 2006. "We're delighted to celebrate this milestone birthday as we look forward to continuing our important role in the community."
Southland Mall Shopping Centre opened on February 26, 1969, anchored by a Sears department store and space for an additional fifty retailers. An article from the Terrebonne Press on February 25, 1969, proclaimed the opening of the mall "brings a new era to area shoppers." Grand opening festivities included a fashion show, a concert from the Terrebonne High School Choir and numerous giveaways, including a mink jacket and a color television.
Dawn Becker, who grew up in the Houma area, first joined the mall 20 years ago as Marketing Director. She has been General Manager at the mall for the past 13 years.
"It's exciting to have seen so much of the mall's history, and even more exciting to be part of its future," she said. "We're focused on keeping our sense of community spirit by partnering with local groups and organizations to make the mall a fun family destination for shopping and entertainment."
To celebrate the 50-year milestone, the mall will be holding gala celebrations in March. Community activities planned in conjunction with the celebration include:
- The launch of a farmer's market with local produce
- A mural contest using available wall space throughout the center
- Super Kids Club Event
- Shopping Spree Giveaway
- Live music
- Celebrity Meet & Greet
- Pet Adoption Fair – all adoption fees sponsored by Southland Mall
More information on the 50th anniversary celebration will be provided as details are solidified. Visit:
Southland Mall timeline: Key highlights
- October 19, 1966 – Sears opens
- February 26, 1969 – Mall opened with Sears and space for 50 specialty stores
- October, 1970 – D.H. Holmes (now Dillard's) opens
- August, 1981 – JCPenney opens along with a new wing for an additional 35 specialty stores
- November, 1994 – Mall renovation grand opening
- August, 1997 – Dillard's adds third level and completes a total store renovation and upgrade
- December, 2006 – Morguard acquires mall through the acquisition of Sizeler REIT
- February, 2017 – H&M opens
- November, 2017 – Exterior entrance renovation completed
- October, 2018 – Interior lighting and ceiling renovation
- March, 2019 – 50th Anniversary celebrations
About Morguard Corporation
Morguard Corporation is a major North American real estate company. It has extensive retail, office, industrial, multi–suite residential, and hotel holdings owned directly, or through its investment in Morguard North American Residential REIT, Morguard REIT, and Temple Hotels Inc. Morguard also provides real estate management services to institutional and other investors. Morguard's owned and managed portfolio of assets is valued at $21.0 billion. Please visit morguard.com or follow us on LinkedIn.
For additional information, contact:
Dawn Becker, General Manager, Southland Mall