Morguard is thrilled to announce that the Bonnie Doon Shopping Centre has earned BOMA BEST Gold Certification for its sustainability efforts. The certification recognizes excellence in energy and environmental management and performance in commercial real estate.
Gold certification is awarded to buildings that have met the BOMA BEST Practices and have achieved between 80 and 89 per cent in their evaluation. Bonnie Doon was able to move from silver to gold in December of 2020 by implementing a series of upgrades and creating a “Green Team” to brainstorm and move initiatives forward. The Bonnie Doon team targeted a 15% reduction in energy use, year-over-year and are consistently lower. Despite facing several challenges due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the team persevered and were rewarded with the certification.
Bonnie Doon Shopping Centre is currently working on a 30-year renewal project to transform the centre into a high-density residential and commercial development, while also working on its sustainability programs.
Some key upgrades at the property include:
- A washroom retrofit
- A new irrigation system will be installed with the development to the property
- A green cleaning program
- A preventative maintenance program
- An energy reduction target
- Up-to-date water assessments
- Indoor air quality monitoring
- LED lighting upgrades
- Common areas
- Parking lot lighting
- Exterior security lights
- Light harvesting photocell for the skylight areas
- A walker BMS system to control heating/cooling in all tenant and common areas
Congratulations to the Bonnie Doon team for this high achievement and its commitment to the environment.