Morguard’s Bramalea City Centre has been recognized with the BOMA Canada TOBY Award (The Outstanding Building of the Year) in the Building Retail Category. The TOBY Awards are widely recognized as the Oscars of the commercial real estate industry.
The shopping mall, located in downtown Brampton, was eligible for this award by earning the BOMA Toronto TOBY Award earlier this year, the Certificate of Excellence, as well as being BOMA Best Platinum Certified.
Some key updates and factors that the centre implemented include:
- Installing two all-purpose Electric Vehicle charging stations
- Implementing a program to prevent single-use plastics and using reusable bags
- Installing rooftop gardens and green roofs, which protects the building from laten heat-reducing cost and consumption of energy
- Retrofitting all exterior parking lot lamp standards and all lighting in the multi-level parkade to LEDs with zone and individual control capability as well as individual photocell sensors and dimmers
- Installing check meters and Flowie leak detection devices in all tenant units that utilize water
- Implementing a green cleaning plan to include dry-cleaning practices that reduce water use, energy-and water-efficient ec-H2O NanoClean automated floor scrubbers, reusable microfiber cloths to reduce waste generation, and the use of EcoLogo-certified cleaning agents and chemicals
- Bramalea City Centre captures 77% of recyclable items through existing programs and diverts 68% of its waste from landfill
This accomplishment is a testament to the collective efforts of the entire team. Congratulations to the Bramalea City Centre team!