Morguard is happy to say that Centerpoint Mall has earned BOMA BEST Gold Certification for its commitment to environmental leadership and stewardship.
This certification recognizes the importance of energy efficiency and reducing greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to climate change. Given the challenging circumstances of the past two years, this is a particularly satisfying accomplishment for the property and a testament to the collective efforts of the entire team.
Some key updates and programs include:
- In the past year, Centerpoint Mall reduced electricity consumption by 12.9%; natural gas consumption by 11.9%, and water consumption by 42.5%.
- The mall completed an exterior lighting retrofit in the parking lot and landscaped areas to energy-efficient LED lamps with photocell technology to activate and deactivate based on natural daylight levels, further contributing to the property’s energy conservation goals.
- Water-efficient irrigation controls have been implemented throughout the exterior landscaped areas which incorporate rain sensors and smart scheduling to better monitor and manage water consumption.
- To improve the indoor air quality, the mall installed high-efficiency MERV 13 filters onsite which are known to prevent up to 90% of fine outdoor air contaminants such as mould spores, pollen, dust particles and aerosols from entering the HVAC systems.
- The centre has a well-established waste management program including facilities for recycling e-waste, toner cartridges and batteries during the annual E-waste Recycling Week, a year-round program for collection of ballasts, fluorescent tubes and lamps containing mercury, and an organics program.
Congratulations to the Centrepoint Mall team for this high achievement and its commitment to the environment.